‘Tails & Tales’ theme provides activities and reading challenges for all ages
SPEARFISH, SD – Get ready to dive into the Grace Balloch Memorial Library “Tails & Tales” Summer Reading program, which begins June 6 for all ages.
“We are excited to welcome everyone back for Summer Reading,” Library Director Amber Wilde said. “Great prizes and fun activities await, and we encourage all ages to get involved.”
Readers can complete the challenge by either logging their minutes using ReadSquared or printing/picking pick up a paper log at Grace Balloch Memorial Library, 625 N. 5th St. To use ReadSquared, download the app from your device's App Store or track minutes online at https://spearfishlibrary.readsquared.com/. Participants can register the entire family. However they are tracked, minutes must be turned in by July 31 to receive prizes and be entered into grand prize drawings.
Participants up to age 12 will receive a prize for every 250 minutes read. Once 1,000 minutes are completed, participants receive a prize bag and are entered into the grand prize drawings, and each additional 250 minutes read after reaching that threshold will gain another entry into the drawings.
Teen and Adult participants will receive a prize for every 250 points earned (either by tracking minutes or pages read). Once 1,000 points are earned, participants receive a prize bag and are entered into the grand prize drawings. Every 250 points earned after the 1,000 will gain another entry into the drawings.
In addition, participants should keep an eye out for secret codes at various library programs, scavenger hunts, and community partners this summer! These secret codes can be entered anytime on ReadSquared (or talk to a librarian if using a paper log) to give bonus points, which go towards additional prize entries after participants hit the 1,000 points earned by reading.
During Summer Reading, Grace Balloch Memorial Library is offering a variety of programs and activities.
- Story times will be held outdoors during June and July, on the north side of the library, and will move indoors in case of inclement weather. Take home crafts may be available. Toddler story time (for ages 1-3) takes place at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesdays. Story time for ages 4-8 occurs at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please note there will be no story times on June 15.
- Tween and teens can participate in bi-weekly activities, which will be held indoors. Tween activities (for ages 8-11) take place at 10 a.m. on June 10 and 24 and July 8 and 22. Teen activities (for ages 12-16) take place at 10 a.m. on June 17 and July 1, 15, and 29.
The library is also hosting special events open to the public, which will be held at Spearfish City Park.
- June 15: Dragons Are Too Seldom Puppet Show, 10 a.m.: Join us as local master puppeteer Markie Scholz puts on a performance for all ages at the W.S. Tretheway Pavilion. Puppet-making workshop to follow.
- July 13: Raptor Center Outdoor Bird Programs, 2 p.m.: The Black Hills Raptors and some of their feathered friends will be joining us this summer to talk all about these amazing creatures. This educational program is open to all ages and will be held at the City Park Bandshell. In case of inclement weather, it will move to the nearby picnic shelter.
- Aug. 4: Grand Finale Party, 5 p.m.: Celebrate with us the completion of the Tales & Tails Summer Reading Program with this family event down at the City Park. Come and meet some local youth with their animal friends, enjoy a duck race, and hang around for the Wednesday evening Canyon Acoustic Series Concert in the Park at 6:30 p.m. Grand prize winners will be announced!
For more information, stop by Grace Balloch Memorial Library, call the library at 642-1330, follow its Facebook page, or visit https://www.cityofspearfish.com/783/Summer-Reading.