SPEARFISH, SD – The Madison Ice Rink in Spearfish City Campground is officially open for ice skaters.
Parks, Recreation, and Forestry staff flooded the rink recently, with “keep off the ice” signs posted until the rink froze to the point that it is ready for people to use.
Parks and Recreation Director Tyler Ehnes explained there are two rough spots on the ice where someone had broken through over the weekend, and these areas have been coned off. One area that was broken through had damaged the bottom part of the liner, causing a leak. Staff have attempted a fix and are hopeful that the two slashes in the liner are now patched and will stop or slow the leak.
Everyone is reminded the rink is a shared, community-use recreation space, so while people are encouraged to use it, they should not expect exclusive privileges to the rink. The rink cannot be reserved, and everyone should feel welcome to use it while it is open.
A sign at the rink outlines the rules and regulations: “This rink is provided for the enjoyment of the whole community.” The public is asked to observe the following rules to help city staff “keep the best ice surface possible” for participants to enjoy:
- When the ice rink is posted closed, please stay off the rink. It has been closed for a reason, generally because it has just been flooded and the ice needs to properly freeze. Staff will remove the closed sign once the ice is firm enough to skate.
- Do not walk, skate, sled, or play on the rink when it is covered with snow. This packing of the snow creates rough spots on the ice surface.
- Do not throw rocks, sticks, logs, or drag picnic tables or garbage cans onto the rink. These items break through thin ice or can freeze into the ice on a warm day, ruining the surface.
- Leave the yellow bumpers on the side boards. They are there for the safety of the skaters.
- Keep the rink area clean. Place all trash in the garbage cans provided.
- Hockey and pleasure skating do not mix. Try and share the rink with other users by doing one use at only one end of the rink.
- If you witness any vandalism, please call: Spearfish Police Department at 642-1300.
People are asked to clear the entire rink of snow if they arrive before the snow has been cleared off the ice, and people should plan to bring their own firewood if they plan to have a fire in the campfire ring present at the location. Please do not burn pallet wood unless all nails and staples have been removed prior to burning.
The lights around the rink come on at 3:30 p.m. and turn off at 10 p.m. Please skate with caution, as there are some rough patches of ice, and warming temperatures could cause deterioration of the ice conditions throughout the day. Please keep the area clean by throwing away your garbage and keeping fires contained within the fire ring.
Check for updates about the rink here. Should conditions change and the rink require closure due to warm temperatures, signs will be posted.