SPEARFISH, SD – Grace Balloch Memorial Library’s Summer Reading Program begins June 4! This year’s theme is All Together Now.
We hope everyone will take the theme to heart and come together to participate in the program activities and reading challenges this summer,” Library Director Amber Wilde said.
For the reading challenges, participants may track their minutes/pages read using the ReadSquared app (available to download to your device or track online on the website) or a paper reading log, available to pick up at Grace Balloch Memorial Library. The following challenges apply to the age categories below:
- Babies and Toddlers (ages 3 and younger) – Complete all of the items on the activity sheet for your little one to receive a goodie bag!
- Pre-K to age 12 – For every 250 minutes read, participants will receive a prize. When 1,000 minutes is reached, participants will receive a prize bag and be entered into the grand-prize drawing. For every 250 minutes read after the initial 1,000 minutes, participants will get another entry into the drawings.
- Teens and Adults – For every 250 points earned (either by tracking minutes or pages read), participants will receive a prize. Once participants have earned 1,000 points, they receive a completion prize and are entered into the grand-prize drawings. For every 250 points earned after the initial 1,000 points, they will receive another entry into the drawings.
The deadline to turn in minutes/pages, to be eligible for prizes and grand-prize drawing entries, is July 31. Prizes may be picked up at any time.
In addition to the reading challenges, there are weekly and special events planned from June 5 through August 2:
- Toddler Story Time, for ages 1-3, takes place at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Story Time for ages 4-8 is 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Tween Activity Days (for ages 8-12)
- June 14 – Lego Group Build, 1 p.m.
- June 28 – Kindness Rock Painting, 1 p.m.
- July 12 – Snack and Paint Class, 1 p.m.
- July 26 – Board Game Day, 1 p.m.
Coming Together Lunch (for adults) – noon to 1 p.m. Thursdays: Each week the library will host various hobby and service organizations from the area to discuss what they do and how to get involved. Bring your lunch and meet other individuals with similar interests. Check the library’s Facebook page or calendar for information about the weekly presenters.
- June 8 – Jeff Quinn Magic Show, 10 a.m. at the City Park Tretheway Pavilion – All ages are welcome!
- June 13 – “Dragons on the Case” puppet show and workshop, 9:30 a.m. – For kids young and old, the show begins at 9:30 a.m., with the workshop to follow.
- June 21 – Teen Escape Room Board Game Day, 1 p.m. at the library – For ages 13 and older, there will be a table-top escape room, with food and refreshments to enjoy.
- July 19 – Teen Painting and Donuts Day, 1 p.m., library – For ages 13 and older, participants will enjoy eating donuts while painting donuts.
- August 2 – Finale Party, 5-6:30 p.m., City Park – Join us as we gather all together now at Spearfish City Park for lawn games and refreshments to finish off the summer reading program!
For more information about the Summer Reading Program, call the library at 605-642-1330, follow Grace Balloch Memorial Library on social media, or visit https://www.cityofspearfish.com/212/Library, where more information about the program will be posted.